Snippies is proud to be a part of this groundbreaking research and development!
Happy Holidays from your friends at Snippies! Check out some of our top moments from 2017.
Happy Fall! From your friends at Snippies.
Setbacks are inevitable. Whether in your professional life or personal, there will be times where something stops you right in your tracks. Everything can seem perfect and you feel on top of the world one minute, then, suddenly the rug is swept right out from under your feet. You don’t get the promotion you thought you had in the bag, the huge meeting with a client was a flop, or you deal with a personal issue that can bring major hurt. No one is immune to setbacks, so we might as well figure out how to deal with and tackle them before they hinder your motivation to get yourself up and try again.
Let your setback be the platform for your comeback.
Here are four tips that I think are the most useful and helpful to get you get past the negativity that comes with obstacles and get you focused on making a comeback.
- Take time to acknowledge: Recognize the problem. So often we try to avoid the issue instead of facing it head on. Once you come to terms with the situation take time to process. Emotions and feelings are natural in these situations and it’s OKAY to take time to deal with them. Processing your emotions is very important so you can accept the situation and get control over your feelings before you do or say something you might regret. Taking the time to gather your feelings and identify the situation will successfully set you up for approaching the next step.
- Don’t panic: Jumping to conclusions will only lead to more setbacks. Panicking will hinder, not help the situation. Instead sit down and figure out the source of the problem. Write down the pros and cons, what worked, what didn’t, and what can be improved without being biased or pointing fingers. Writing down the facts and walking through the circumstances will help you assess the situation, learn from it, and help you figure out what the proper next moves are.
- BE POSITIVE: I get it. Being positive is sometimes nearly impossible to do when you feel discouraged and down in the dumps. Instead of focusing on the things that went wrong in situations try to look at the opportunities that might come out of it. Obviously we can’t live in lala land, but focusing on chances you still have will psychologically keep you on track. So put on your positive pants, people!
- Take control and move on: Once you take the time to collect your thoughts and evaluate the situation – it’s time to take action. Think positive and focus on the things that are within your control. There are going to be independent factors that are out of your hands that you cannot spend your time and energy focusing on. Take your leanings from the last setback and move forward with those tips and tricks, so the next time you have a setback (yes, let’s be honest with ourselves it’ll happen) you know how to effectively overcome it and move on!
These 4 steps are definitely not the end all be all for every setback that will come your way, but they will come as a guide to ensure your obstacles are merely a little bump in the road that you dust off your shoulders and never look back at. Just remember: If you get knocked down, get back up! When you get knocked down again, get back up AGAIN!
Check out the video below we produced for Mondelez on how they overcame a setback in the workplace and came out on top!
Written by: Grace Jenkins, Snippies Intern
Nomophobia: fear of being phoneless. Anyone come to mind? I’m guilty as charged, working for a busy global video production company with clients in cities from Seattle to Shanghai and everywhere in between. We understand the need to be connected but it doesn’t mean you can’t take a quick time out. Technology tends to be the controller of our lives. From the moment I wake up (from an app that sets off my alarm), till the minute I go to bed (app that plays wind-down tunes) my life is consumed by technology.
There is life between Wifi signals. I promise.
I’ve searched the internet and put endless tips to the test. Here are the 5 best that I’ve found to help you disconnect for the world and reconnect with yourself + others.
5 tips for unplugging:
1. Airplane Mode: No service? No problem. You can’t waste endless time on social platforms when you can’t connect to them. Airplane mode is a way to create your own dead-zone, anytime any place. This is a great habit to incorporate in your daily lives, socializing with friends, dinners with family, etc. Check out this video to see the benefits to dead zones 🙂
2. Phone-free morning: You need to take time off the grid. Why not start your day with this? Get a jumpstart on having a productive day. Get in a good sweat session, nice cup of coffee, house chores, etc. This can be a great way to start with a fresh mind and not waste moments in the morning scrolling through social media. Spend your mornings screen-free and feel more accomplished even before the start of the workday.
3. Delete the Distractions: Outta sight, outta mind. You can’t subconsciously click on your apps when they aren’t there. It’s a good thing to do from time to time if you really need to buckle down and avoid distractions. Whether you are studying for a final or trying to hit a deadline at work you can get that urge to take a ‘5 minute break’ that can turn into 45 before you know it (thx snapchat stories). So don’t even risk it- I swear you won’t miss much.
4. No phone zone: boundaries need to be a thing. Place the phone away from the bed. Extra plus: you have to get out of bed to turn off your alarm (snooze button no longer an option)! Screen time emits light to keep you up (que the late night, early morning, 3 cups of coffee before 9:00 a.m. routine that I may have fallen accustom too). Leave your phone on a dresser or outside the room so you resist the urge to reach for it, and get some Zzz’s.
5. No to Notifications: Shut off not only the phone but the mind too. Do you really need to be the first to like the newest Instagram post? I don’t think so. It disrupts your concentration from what’s important to what’s irrelevant. You may not even be hooked on social media, but how can you not look down at your phone when it’s buzzing 24/7? Say bye-bye to the notifications and hello to the concentration.
Trust me I get it, your cellphone feels like the glue that holds your life together but if you take a break once in a while you may be surprised at how much more connected to everything else you feel.
Written By: Grace Jenkins, Snippies Intern
The BBQ season is officially in full swing! Making great barbecue is a lot like video production. You need the right tools, proper lighting and time everything perfectly! It’s a great way to unwind after a stressful week of work (trust me I feel ya) and a low maintenance alternative to extensive prep work for a dinner party. Not Martha Stewart? No problem! We’ve got 4 easy tips to earn you the title of grill master in no time.
Tip # 1: The Menu
What’s a party without good food? Delicious food is crucial to winning over your party guests taste buds. You don’t need a whole days’ worth of prep, or Bobby Flays’ magic touch in order to whip up some delicious food. Here are some quick 30 minute recipes to leave your friends with full + happy bellies.
Tip # 2: The Theme
Every party needs a fun theme. Decorations can range from simple string lights to disposable dishware that is sturdy + trendy. Décor doesn’t have to be a headache or hassle either (I know that’s what you’re thinking). Check out these easy DIY décor tips on sprucing up your backyard.
Tip # 3: The Groove
Because who doesn’t love some killer jams? Spotify has you covered with the ‘best BBQ playlist’, 10 hours to be exact (in case your visitors overstay their welcome).
Tip 4: The Fun
If small talk isn’t happening and all you are hearing are crickets, que the backyard games. A little competition will bring out the spirit in everyone. Games don’t have to require a lot of setup and props either. Here are some games that you can make with objects found in and around your house.
Whether you’re a party throwing newbie or a seasoned vet these are the perfect guidelines to follow to make your gathering with friends a success!
Check out the video we produced for Dixie about their Ultra plates that are able to hold up to 2 lbs. of food, allowing your guests to load up on BBQ at your next backyard get together.
Written By: Grace Jenkins, Snippies Intern